Friday, December 5, 2008

Late Sterling post...



...not too much to post on this one...it's just not my kind of course unfortunately. While there are some good technical sections, I lack the HP for the long straightaways. Plus the steep runup just about kills me every time. I won't make excuses for this one; I didn't feel great and wasn't super motivated. Finished 19th in the 35+, 35th overall. I think there were 90 guys in the race, so top half. But not great; I felt like I left a lot out there.

It's funny to say this, but I'm ready for a break. My back has been really bugging me all season long. Lately my elbow has been really bothering me too. I feel like I need to take a month off the bike and let some things heal up. Then I need to really work on core strength in the off-season and do a lot of sloooooow and easy base work. I love, love, love being on any of my bikes and 'cross is definitely my favorite. But slugging it out every weekend with a bum back ain't much fun.

On the up side (there's ALWAYS an upside) the MRC crew lit it up overall. Gary and Rich podiumed in the B-masters (behind Mike McKittrick who is fast as hell and regularly finishes top 10 in the killer B's). Anna won (again) the women's B race, and we found out that Manny has been invited to join Geoff Proctor at Euro Cross Camp. That kid is just plain talented and motivated. While Luke Keough is the class of the US Juniors right now (I predict a podium at Worlds this year for him), Manny is hard f'ing core. I guess another bright spot (and sort of funny one) would be that I had my first official run in with Mr. Curley. He took me out on lap one behind the scoreboard. It seems that this icon of New England 'cross racing has rubbed elbows with most of my team mates. Now I feel like I'm part of the crowd!

No comments: