Monday, October 27, 2008

Wrentham Report

Lined up for the B-Masters, 35+ race on Saturday on a pretty nice day for New England 'cross. This was a huge improvement weather wise over last year, when this race was in mid-December and absolutely freezing. I think I had two sets of leg warmers on and I was still cold! I was in the 5th row and felt pretty good pre-race. The course was pretty rutty in sections, so a half dozen warm-up laps certainly helped me pick out lines to follow.

Whistle goes and I go hard. Considering how crappy last week at Mansfield went (DFL after the MOC, 1 minute into the race) I had to be closer to the front before the grassy turns. I tend to do better on the twisty-turny stuff--I began riding as a moutain biker and I think my handling skills help there. I'm not Coley on the technical stuff by any means (who is?), but I think I can hold my own. Through the twisties and over the first set of barriers. I have worked pretty hard at getting smoother on this skill. Next year I will try to get faster through them. I think I picked off a few guys on the remounts the first two laps.

Through the woods and back out to the open grassy area. At the second set of barriers, literally right in front of me, Steen tried to bunnyhop over. Looks like he caught his front wheel and face-planted. Great attempt! Bigger cahones than me, that's for sure.

Next few laps were typical. I jumped up a bunch of spots....had Mike and Paul in my sites on the bell lap. Couldn't catch Mike and Paul put in a great dig on the last straightaway and I couldn't catch him. My best result ever in a 'cross race....10th out of 70+ starters. I'm pretty happy with that.

I continue to improve and need to keep pushing hard on the intervals.

Big shouts to the MRC winners: Rich won the 4's going away; Anna took the women's 3-4 race, Andrea the women's 1-2-3 (the MRC ladies are just handing to the competition this year!!!). I don't have the full story on Manny yet, but I guess there was a mishap of sorts but he was schoolin' the field...I am so happy to be part of a club where 'cross is a big thing!! On to NoHOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I love the 413 and I'm hoping the kids will get to see Dad put up a solid result.

2 comments:

trackrich said...

Nice job man... I was going to give you crap for letting Paul beat you, but he rode his ass off that day so kudos to both of you :)

Scott Sweeney said...

Thanks....I'm improving. I need some structure though...same as you, I wonder how I would do with someone telling me what to do.

As for Paul beating me, I hear ya. He had one HELL of a start in that race! Tried as hard as I could to catch him.

Good people our club!!