Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Noho report....late

Not sure if the Farmington race is no longer or what, but Adam and the Cycle-Smart crew put on a fabulous double at Look Park. Enough changes in the course over the two days to be a ton of fun and we had something like 27 MRC'ers on the scoreboards!! Highlights for me were watching Manny dukin' it out at the front of juniors race (that kid is just plain fast), the Professor hitting the podium in the B-masters, and CCC at the front of the killer B's on both days. Bad Brad was sucking wind in the 2/3's but that kid is so good, it'll just take a couple of races to get some fitness back. The MRC women's team is wicked strong--podiums for Christina and Anna; didn't catch how Andrea did, but she's racing against the friggin' pros now! It's great to see; in just a couple of years it seems like the women's fields in NE 'cross have virtually doubled.
For me, well, I did Ok. As much as I love Noho, it's got a lot of roadie sections where I break down later on in the races. The long grass straightaways are the death of me. I need more twisty turny stuff! On Saturday I was 33rd overall and 25th in the 35+, and on Sunday I finished 32nd overall and 19th in the 35+.

The very best of the weekend though was my own personal fan club-Mom came out to watch on Saturday, and on Sunday the whole Sweeney crew was there. Mom and Dad, my wife Penny, and all 3 of my kids, my sister and her boyfriend. There is just NOTHING BETTER than hearing my daughters cheering me on--"go Daddy, go; he's only a couple seconds ahead of you".
My sister caught me doing my best Coley imitation over the barriers and staying upright! Perhaps the funniest thing (in retrospect) was on Saturday when I literally crashed right in front of Mom. On the steep run-up a rider from Cycle Loft inadvertently cut me off (I'm sure it wasn't intentional...) and in my oxygen deprived state I went off after him....just as we were to swing back to the left, I stared right at his rear wheel...and yep, hit it and went down hard. There's Mom on the other side of the tape-"Scotty, look where you want to go....not where you don't want to go". She's a smart one, I tell ya!

Thus far I am happy that I'm improving. Each week I look at my B masters results and transpose them to the cat 4 results list. Obviously it's a different race, but if I'd be placing consistently in the top 20 and even some top 10's in that group. I need to keep it up, it's fun and I'm gettin' better. On to Plymouth!

No comments: