Monday, October 20, 2008

Mansfield Hollow report + Why Mapquest sucks.

So the plan this weekend was to race on Saturday at Mansfield Hollow in CT (and sadly miss the big time party at Canton with the MRC crew) so that I could go see Meghan cheer on the Nashoba Pop Warner football team on Sunday. It was her last game cheering and I really wanted to see her.

So let's start with Mansfield-absolutely great course with the exception of the Monster Off Camber (MOC) that was a minute into the race. Unfortunately for me, this obstacle essentially decided the final selection. I got bogged down behind a couple of guys that bobbled at the top and by the time we got it sorted out, the lead group was gone for good. I felt like I had decent legs that morning, so opportunity lost. The course itself deserves some space here though. No less than 5 or 6 dismounts PER lap dependent on one's fitness. There was a single barrier before the MOC at a hairpin left turn, a log barrier right on another hairpin left turn (bunny hoppable, but the sharp turn made that a suspect strategy IMO); two sand runs, a steep run-up with a barrier at the top, and finally a double barrier (regulation height) just out of the woods. The good news is that I felt pretty smooth on my dismounts and mounts-I feel like my skills are improving there. I am beginning to get the feel for what Myerson refers to as "merging with the bicycle" and immediately stomping on the pedals. I hit the sand runs at almost full speed without having to scrub speed ahead of time. My running sucks though and remains a weakness. Because my back has been so torqued for so long I am having a tough time sprinting-big time core strengthening once 'cross ends. In any event, I finished 20th, just behind Gewilli. I was able to stay and watch the first half of the women's MRC team have at the course. Spent some time with Christina, Anna, and Andrea--they're dominating the women's fields right now and stepping onto the podium at most events. I think Anna and Andrea won on Sunday at Canton.

As for Sunday....well, let's just say that Mapquest officially SUCKS. Why on earth that program had us going to Worcester (Holy Cross exit) then driving in a couple of cirles (though now I know where Bicycle Alley is...) to get to Spencer is beyond me. Truth be told, I should have read through all the directions before even leaving the house but hey-we're a busy family, Ryan had a tough night, we were tired and just wanted to GET THERE. Well, we missed the damn game and I missed the Canton race because of it. Ah well....

The MRC race is this weekend, followed by Beer Cross in Dayville, CT on Sunday (same guy that promoted Natz Schmatz last year).

No comments: