Friday, June 6, 2008

Pat's Peak


Six hours on a mountain bike is a long time to ride. Six hours on a hardtail mountain bike on pretty rough single track makes for an epic ride. Went up for the Pat's Peak MTB Festival and decided to pin on a number for the six hour solo with a few of the MRC crew-Billy D., Art, Bad Brad, and Rich "GFG".

Pretty happy with the end result being 8 laps and 40 miles and 14th place. I rode the last 3 laps on a pretty tricked out Trek Fuel trail bike. It was my first time really having at it on a full suspension bike and I have to admit that it was amazing. I was absolutely a better rider and I could fly on the descents! Had I been on that rig from the start I could have done another lap for sure. I felt better after the third lap on that bike than I did after 5 laps on my old bike. So much for being the old cratchedy soul rider....riding courses like this on a hardtail is simply playing against a stacked deck, it's as simple as that.

Next big objective is the Harpoon ride next weekend. I feel pretty unprepared given that I only have one century under my belt thus far, but several rides of 70+. I'll be in a group and will keep it sensible for the majority of the ride. It's 140 + with the climbing all pretty much at the end so I'm just looking to get to Windsor without wanting to throw my bike in the river!!

No comments: