Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Time....or lack of it.

I never reeeeeeally thought that managing my time effectively was that much of a chore, challenge, task, etc for me. Generally speaking, I've always considered myself relatively organized and able to "fit it all in". Given my schedule these days, clearly I had WAAAAY too much time on my hands!!!

One of my desires/goals post grad school was to become much more engrained in the lives of my children. As a lifelong average athlete but lover of pretty much all sports it's important to me to engage and introduce these things to my children. If they become little Mia Hamm's so much the better, but my goal is to get them in the fresh air with their friends and enjoy the competition and the sweat. To that end I volunteered to coach both soccer and softball. What I didn't realize was how much that absolutely is cutting into training time! While I once laughed at some of the multi-sport athletes in my club for dawn patrol rides, I realize the absolute necessity of them! With Saturday mornings gone (soccer), Sunday afternoons gone (wife working), Mondays shot (need to be in the office in Boston all day), Tuesday nights shot (softball + wife working), Friday nights shot (wife working), there appears to VERY little "Scott time". Add to this that my wife is taking on the 3-Day Breast Cancer Walk and is training for that, my schedule is suddenly JAMMED. I've already had to eliminate a couple of races that I really wanted to do.

PHEW, ah well. The sacrifice is definitely worth it (Meghan and Caitlin are loving their sports and I can't ask for anything better), and to be honest, it shouldn't be that hard to start getting my ass out of bed at 4:30 for pre-work rides. Gary gets up that early to go swimming a few days a week (I mean gimmeamutherfingbreak....SWIMMING AT 4:45am???? All SET, thanks....).

I now need to figure out how to Ryan (he's almost 2), to forego ball sports altogether and take the Steve Wright route to athletic fulfillment.....

No comments: