Monday, September 29, 2008

Quad 'cross mechanicals

So the first real race for me was yesterday over at Middlesex Community College in Bedford. Nice to be local, and it was my favorite kind of riding--sloppy and muddy, the way 'cross should be. We had an awesome showing of MRC'rs there, including Mr. Lowry who was getting married later in the day (dude, that is true dedication!!). Steen, Cort, two Todds (only one raced....dude, c'MON), Ric, Rob, Coley, GD, GFG, Jim, Bill, others I'm surely leaving out....a great crew nonetheless. However, in a way that must have been a good foreshadow to today's financial "news"....there were too many mechanical failures for the good guys....

1. Right in front of me, Bill rolled a tire.

2. Same race, I blew out a chain and had to run half the last lap, instantly losing 15 places.

3. Jim broke his saddle on lap 2 and had to race on one cheek.

4. Cort rolled a tire...he was sitting second wheel looking REALLY comfortable, then when I saw him again he was about 7th and on Todd's bike.

5. And not to be outdone, Rich somehow managed to rip a hole in his skinsuit in a place that 'cross racers don't want to rip holes.

This was a fun course and definitely local for me (I love races that are 20 minutes from home).

Well, the season has definitely kicked off. I was pretty pleased with how I was going for the most part. I'm pretty sure that Ric and I were sitting in the top 20 or so going in to the bell lap. I hit the gas on the straightaway and felt like I could pick off another guy or two before the finish. I had heard some unsettling clickety clicks when shifting and said a few quick prayers that the crappy shifting was due to the mud and not a chain ready to blow.....

Ah well...it's bike racing and this stuff happens. Important for me that I felt good in the 3/4 masters and I'm psyched for the season. Bike maintenance tonight and Wrentham on Wednesday!! Let's prayer for more rain!!!

2 comments:

gewilli said...

holy crap - yall better fire who ever glued the MRC tires on...

yall haven't stopped rolling them...

I got thinking, maybe people are tired of rolling tires and there will be a nice fire sale of tubular wheels soon and I can pick up a couple pairs cheap

;)

busted chain... well... at least it is early in the season to be breaking stuff...

Scott Sweeney said...

Rumor has it that you are a tubular master....I'm riding Mud2 clinchers now but hoping to "upgrade" to tubulars next year...I'll be knockin!!!