Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The politics of the book bag...



So I have a wonderful, amazing, delightful seven year old daughter. Her name is Meghan and she is one of the four most beautiful things in my world. One of the most interesting (and frankly hysterical) aspects of being a Dad is paying attention to the things that pop up in everyday life that other folks would likely consider white noise.


Just such a thing is going on now. I am calling it the 'politics of the book bag'. Meghan, like most kids her age, are 'required' these days to lug more crap to school on a daily basis than I ever was. Therefore, she has a book bag big enough for her to sleep in. But it's a couple of years old and just isn't cool anymore. Now her buddies are lugging around sling bags or messenger bags (HA! I used a messenger bag when I was managing a bike shop 10 years in Minneapolis to carry my crap to work everyday...maybe Dad is more hip than he gets credit for...). Being a bit of a gear head, I am certainly sypathetic to Meghan's plight. She's lucky there I guess--she wants what she wants and I know the feeling.
And since Grammy is subsidizing the effort, she may as well be the coolest kid if she can. So after putting about 250 miles on the VW going from store to store (REI, EMS, Hiltons, Bean, you name it, I've been there) to gather a collection of bags for Meghan to judge (there's less pressure on Project Runway I swear to god...."LL Bean Classic Messenger; you're OUT!" Can't you just hear Heidi Klum banishing that poor thing to the return counter???) she's settled on the Timbuk2 Classic below. Have to admit, it's a pretty cool bag for a 2nd grader. Now if I just get her off the training wheels.....


No comments: