Saturday, August 2, 2008

The First Camping Trip!




We took the kids on their first camping trip and it was a pretty big hit. Despite the fact that Ryan (just turned 1) had a tough first night sleeping in a tent, everything else turned out great. We stayed at Lafayette Campground at the base of Canon Mountain. I love the area, possibly my favorite hike of all time is there (the Little Haystack to Lincoln to Lafayette summit hop), not to mention two stout ice climbs (one I've done-Mt. Flume, one-the Black Dike...someday). For the first real hike for the children we opted to take them to Lonesome Lake which is on the way to the summit of Canon. Meghan (the 7 year old) flew up the hill. Caitlin (only 4) managed to hike on her own (no carrying at all) to the lake and Ryan snored on my back a good way up. Cait was pretty beat so I ended up carrying her back down (with Ryan still on my back....Dad was a bit beat himself when we got back to camp).


On day two, we took them over to the Basin and hiked up to some falls--though we were in the rain, everyone had a good time and the woods provided good cover. Ryan crashed on my back again (all of our kids love the "baby backpack").




Here's some photos....the next trip is being planned!!! Probably an easy beach trip to Welfleet!




5 comments:

Bad Brad said...

Oh man that is such a nice area. I do lots of winter hiking up in those woods.

See you in a couple day! Rest up!

Scott Sweeney said...

If you do winter hiking up here then you're only a couple steps (and a pile of new gear) away from ice climbing and I'm JUST THE GUY to show you how!!!

Bad Brad said...

im down

ptmccue said...

Looks awesome! I must admit that I am mildly offended by the Yankee hat.

Kim Gail said...

Looks like you guys had a great time on your camping trip, I am so glad.