Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Well the roads were in great shape today, so I opted to take the road bike out (I had been riding my 'cross bike with road tires on it through the winter) and MAN what a difference. So much smoother....I felt more at one with the bicycle and smoother through my route. I have a really sweet road bike, one that I'm not worthy of, but whatever. It's a custom built Seven Odonata that I got before the kids were born (back when we had a few pennies to rub together), and it's just such an awesome ride. Managed to ride about 35 at tempo pace (which I'm pretty sure for me is about 80% max HR, but I could be totally wrong on that....need to check that to be certain). In any event, I averaged about 18.5 MPH with a HR running between 80 and 85%. I think that's probably too hard for this part of the season but I was having fun and it felt good. I can get back to the slow and steady tomorrow!

On the school front we had our group presentation last night, and I was pretty pleased with the outcome. There were definitely some stressful moments toward the end (I just hate leaving things til the last minute) but the group pulled together and delivered a quality project. My Saturday class (Wireless and Mobility Business Strategy) is going to be a lot more work than I had planned on, but the class seems to be filled with a solid group of people. I had taken an earlier class with this professor and she knows her stuff so I'll be better off for the workload in the end. Only about 7 weeks to go until graduation-I'm totally psyched to finish up. It's been a pretty long grind, that's for sure. But it'll ultimately enable me to move on in my career and get to doing something more interesting and fulfilling personally. While I generally really like the people that I work for and with, the job in and of itself is pretty dull. I'm excited to try something that will make me think more.

Looks like the weather is going to suck tomorrow so I'll probably get a run in. I was getting some pain in my achilles the last few times out, so decided to take a week off from running and I seem to feel better. I'll plan to go for an easy 50 minutes and try to find some dirt to run on...I think the pavement is starting to bite back a bit since I've only been running on it since I started running in the first place.

The Wells Ave crit series started up last w'end, and I wasn't able to race (due to the aforementioned school project). We're heading to the 413 for Easter this weekend but probably not until about lunch time, so if they're having the races, I can probably swing it. I'm pretty nervous and anxious to try road racing but it'll be fun!!!

No comments: