Thursday, November 19, 2009

Frustrating....

I am officially NOT a packrat. I purge my things regularly - I like to live (as best I can anyway...) an efficient and streamlined lifestyle. I don't own much in the way of clothes, I don't have 10 bikes (I have 3), I don't have closets full of health care products, and I generally speaking am good about excess paper (though I really want to get a paper shredder at some point). There are definitely some areas where I could be even more prudent...I still have a separate fax machine and printer, and I probably hang on to many nuts and bolts and scrap lumber from home projects (but that latter makes for great kindling in the winter months).

I am married to the mother of all packrats. I have "time on my hands" these days and decided this morning to attack our bedroom linen closet (reason being I was looking for the bottle of vitamin C tabs as I'm feeling just a bit of cold coming on...). One thing led to another, as other organized types will understand, and I felt compelled to clean that damn closet out.

12 bath towels. TWELVE!!! For just wife and me. The kids have another set in their newly reno'd bathroom (I'm really happy with how that came out BTW). Well, I could use some new rags....
12 bags of random make-up stuff. I.....I simply don't know what to say about that. She's a gorgeous, beautiful woman. But my god how does she even know what she has in all those bags?
I found a couple of completely dried up make-up things, 4 half empty cans of hair spray crap, and prescriptions dating back to before we moved to this house (which begs the question, why the hell did I move it here in the first place?).
Weeeell, in attempting my best to be supportive and diplomatic, I've laid out all twelve bags of stuff on our bed as well as the questionable "products" that I wasn't sure what to do with (if I were my mother, that whole pile would already be in the dumpster) and have sweetly asked her to go through and consolidate.

The good money's on all of it being shoved right back into the closet by day's end.

Still love her to death though!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

The thing about make up is that it is so hard to justify throwing it away. You never know when you will need that purple glitter eye shadow! :-) Hey, how about a visit with some time on your hands?????

Scott Sweeney said...

Would love to come down....dough is tight, but I do have the time. What are flights costing these days?